Official G-glo.com Website & Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

UNDERSTANDING SUPER FOODS IF YOU ARE IMMUNE COMPROMISED

This is an area where this is particular confusion and misunderstanding. I myself fell into the rationale that the more super-foods and Immune boosting I took and could get in my body--the better I would feel. I ate Cacao for breakfast, put Maca, Goji berries in every smoothie, ate gooseberries and shizandra berries in my salads....I think you get the idea. And while I Absolutely believe in the amazing and powerful effects of this super foods there was piece I was failing to look at. What does IMMUNE COMPROMISED mean and imply?? Usually it is described as an immune system that is attacking itself thus causing it to go haywire and cause all kinds of health maladies within the body. So when we take IMMUNE ENHANCING herbs or foods, if our immune system if not functioning properly and we are over stimulating it with SUPER FOODS and SUPER CHARGED immune boosting things, it can cause of the immune system to destroy itself even further and cause more harm than good. I always wondered why at times rather than feeling better and full of energy, that in fact I would feel overtaxed or run down and I NEVER put the two together. I always blamed it on some type of detox reaction or thought it was just the way I was feeling on that particular day.
Then one day it dawned on me....holy shit.....could the MACA or CACAO be over stimulating me???

I want to be really, really clear about this, I think Peruvian, Amazonian Herbs, Cacao and the like are totally amazing. I have them in my cupboard and still used them in moderation. My point is that rather than taking immune boosting herbs, people with chronic Immune suppression need to be very careful about running their immune systems more ragged in taking such herbs or superfoods. We need more supportive herbs and herbs that can balance our immune system without throwing it full throttle into overdrive. For my clients with out immune issues, I tell them sure go ahead and load up of the super foods in their diet but always be mindful to make sure they aren't overdoing it. If their sleep is off, or they are feeling anxious or run down- perhaps lay off them for a few days or a week and see if it subsides. Always trust your body and what it is telling you. No matter what the package says the benefits might be, the proof is in the pudding and not in the eating. Bye bye Beauties. xoxoxox

No comments: